Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Blog #1: New Year’s Resolution

You all have a busy year ahead of you that will include many big changes in your life. Reflect on 2015 as a whole, and then look ahead to 2016. Think about the way(s) your life will be different by the end of 2016.

2015 was pretty cool because I made a lot of new friends, rekindled some old friendships, decided where I wanted to go to college, got to watch my favorite sports team win a World Series, celebrated in the streets of Kansas City with 100,000 strangers, got to go to Florida, and survived the first semester of senior year. Hopefully 2016 will be even better, although I'll have to say goodbye to all the friends I've made over the past few years. However, I also get to go on a cruise with some of my best friends over spring break, complete my high school career, become the first one on either side of my family to go to college out of Kansas, go to school in a new place, surrounded by new faces, in a whole new structure. As nervous and anxious as I am for the upcoming year, I am equally excited for the new opportunities that I will be faced with.


My most important goal for the new-year is to maintain my current friendships and branch out and make new ones. The reason that I wish to accomplish this goal is because it is easy to lose contact with people as you go your separate ways in college, and not always easy to make new friends in college right off the bat. A major obstacle standing in the way of this goal is that I do not know anyone else that is going to the same college as I am since all of my friends are going to K-State, Kansas, or Arkansas on top of I not knowing anyone else who is going to Oklahoma State. This will make it harder to maintain my current friendships since I would not be seeing these people nearly as often as I see them now without not knowing anybody else. To overcome these obstacles, I plan to join a fraternity to meet people early on and make early friendships. I plan to visit my other friends at their respective colleges if I get the chance and to text them every so often. I will measure my success by seeing who I am still friends with by the end of the year and how many new friendships I make in college. The benefits I expect to reach are making/maintaining friendships that will last the course of my life.


1 comment:

  1. You are super smart (and lucky) to do the last big trip with your friends over Spring Break. This will make a difference in strengthening your bond as you all go your separate ways. If you can, try and do this every couple of years- and you will be more likely to keep your friends.

    You are going to have such a great time in Oklahoma!

    ReplyDelete