Monday, January 11, 2016

Blog #2: Current Event

I have a loose idea as to what has been dominating headlines recently. The case in Oregon with the protesters taking over government land, the presidential election heating up, and President Obama's recent address on guns have been plastered all over news sites. I do not have a great idea of what is happening in international news, although I do know that there has been a recent case where OPEC decided to lower their oil prices. I do not take much time to read about what is going on, but I am in government class and international relations this semester so I am starting to become more updated on what is currently going on in the country. There has been a lot of controversy over President Obama's plan to force background checks for all gun sales. Some believe that it is a great idea because it does a better job of keeping guns away from the wrong people, but others are weary that it will not have a major effect since most firearms dealers are already required to give background checks before they make a sale. President Obama's plan to counter this is to track the internet for any illegal deals without background checks and federally prosecute anyone who makes such a deal. I personally believe that President Obama has the right line of thinking here. Although I think that bad people will always find a way to get their hands on guns, this could help alleviate some of that. 

"Sorting Out Obama’s Gun Proposal." FactCheck.org. FactCheck, 9 Jan. 2016. Web. 11 Jan. 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment